Bandipur Tiger Reserve formerly known as the Bandipur National Park since 1970’s came into being during the year 2007. The name is derived from a village called Bandipur where the administrative unit of the Tiger Reserve is located.
The Tiger Reserve is situated in the contiguous landscape spread in the two revenue districts of Southern Karnataka namely the Mysore (Nanjangud & H.D. Kote Taluks) and Chamarajanagar (Gundlupet Taluk). It is a distinctive landmass located at the tri-junction area of the States of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Lies between the North Latitudes 110 35’ 34” and 110 55’ 02” and between the East Longitudes 760 12’ 17” and 760 51’ 32” of Karnataka State in Southern India. Is part of the Western Ghats Tiger Landscape consisting of Mudumalai, Nagarahole Tiger Reserves and the Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary. The South-Eastern portion of the Tiger Reserve gets connected to the adjoining Tiger landscape of BRT Tiger Reserve, M.M. Hills and Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary through the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve.
Approach & Access
A very convenient and easy approach to the Tiger Reserve exists through NH 67. Is located midway on NH 67 about 80.00 Km. from the heritage city of Mysore and the Nilgiri Hills Station Ooty. Regular State Transport buses, taxies and other modes of Road transport provide easy access. The nearest Airports are at Mysore (80 Km), Bengaluru (230.00 Km.) & Coimbatore (200 Km. in Tamil Nadu). In addition to the very limited staying facilities provided by the forest department, some additional facilities are available for the general public in the Buffer zone of the Tiger Reserve. The Reserve is well connected by the Wireless Network, Telephone and the Postal Services. The nearest townships are Gundlupet in Karnataka, Masinagudi and Gudalur in Tamil Nadu and Sulthan Bathery in Kerala with adequate availability of civic amenities.
Under the Mysore Game and Forest Preservation and Regulation Act, 1931, initially an area of 90 Sq.Km. was declared as “Venugopala Wildlife Park” by the Princely State of Mysore in 1941. The area was increased to an extent of 800.00 Sq. Km by addition of adjoining forest areas in 1942. Of this, in the year 1973, an area of 683.52 Sq.Km., a potential Tiger habitat was brought under the ambitious “Project Tiger” and is one of the first Nine Tiger Reserves in the country.
During 1974, the initial notification of the National Park was issued. Subsequently, some more adjacent Reserve forest areas were added to the Tiger Reserve and was extended to 880.02 Sq. Km. The final notification of the Bandipur National Park was issued vide Government Order No. FEE 211 FWL 98 dated 17-6-2001. Of this, an area of 3.20 Sq.Km. in Begur Reserve Forest and 4.28 Sq.Km. from Katwal Reserve Forest have been excluded which were earlier released for tribal rehabilitation vide Government orders No. AFD 354 FGL 68 dated 31-10-1968 and AFD 372 FGL 69 dated
02-09-1969 respectively. In addition, an area of 0.30 Sq.Km. of forest land was set apart for the existing Sanctum Sanctorum of Gopalaswamy Betta Temple in Kaniyanapura block – II & III Reserved Forest. Thus, the Core/Critical Tiger habitat of the Reserve is 872.24 Sq. Km.